What is UAN?
The UAN or the Universal Account number is a 12 digit unique number allotted to each member of the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) which helps them to manage their EPF account.
The UAN will be associated with an employee and will connect all his PF (Provident Fund) accounts across organizations.
This number is issued by the Ministry of Labor and Employment, Government of India.
If an individual changes his job, he will get a new PF account with the organization. This way, multiple PF account numbers will be allotted to an employee. Multiple PF account numbers is an area of concern as many employees report grievances related to transfer and withdrawal of PF amount. To counter this problem and to make the management of provident fund accounts easier, the concept of UAN was introduced The UAN is a single account number that will connect the multiple IDs associated with an employer. With UAN, an employee can connect all his EPFO accounts to make the process of PF withdrawal and transfer easier.
Advantages of UAN
Once you have the UAN number and you register it then you can check many details. Benefit Of Registration of UAN at UAN Member e-Sewa Portal are as follows:
- You can download the updated EPF passbook. The passbook will tell you the EPF balance broken into Employee Contribution(EE) and Employer Contribution (ER). Also deduction for Employee Pension Scheme (EPS). Sample passbook is shown below.
- You can link your previous PF accounts (before Oct 2014) which are not linked to UAN number.
- All you have to do to bring your PF accounts together is give your UAN to current employer. After KYC verification, you will be able to view and manage all accounts.
- You will get notifications on your mobile every time your employer makes a monthly deposit in your PF account.
- You will know about all the movements in your PF account and thus, your employer cannot dominate the same anymore.
- You can verify your transfer claims on EPFO web portal by mentioning your UAN.
- You can change the mobile number and email address.
Read about the step by step process of opening your UAN account in the next article.