Questions Related to Income Tax


  1. How will I get my excess paid tax refunded back?

Once you file an income tax return, the excess fund will be transferred to your bank account or by cheque once the refund gets processed.


  1. Is it possible to communicate with CPC in paper form?

No, no paper communication is allowed with CPC.


  1. What is the toll-free CPC help line number?

It is 1800-425-2229.


  1. What to do when an assessee is not able to call on toll-free number from abroad?

In that case, you can use the chargeable number 080-22546500 to contact IT department.


  1. What is the email id to contact CPC?

There is no Email ID provided from CPC to contact them. The only way is through the toll-free and chargeable contact number.


  1. What are the working hours of CPC?

It is 8.00 am to 8.00 pm from Monday to Friday, excluding all the national holidays.


  1. How to claim a refund for TDS deducted due to late PAN submission?

Your employer can file the “Correction Statement” and provide your PAN information. In this case, you have to file IT return even if your income is below the tax slabs.


  1. Do I have to file Original return once again, if the Original e-return declared to be invalid due to non-receipt of ITR-V?

If the ITR-V has not been received by the CPC and you have the 120 day period remains, then you will have to sign a new ITR-V form and send it to CPC within the time frame. But if the time frame has expired, then you have to file a revised return which will be ultimately treated as original return.

  1. What is the password to open ITR-V

The password to open ITR-V is the combination of your PAN number and your DOB. It should be last 5 digits of your PAN number and ddmmyyyy of the DOB.


  1. Can more than one ITR-V be sent in one envelope?

Yes, more than one form can be sent together in one envelope but one needs to take care that the barcode does not get folded.

  1. Can I send the ITR-V to CPC by Registered Post?

No, ITR-V can be sent only via ordinary post or speed post.


  1. I am not receiving any communication from ITD CPC regarding receipt of ITR-V, Intimation u/s 143(1) or other communications. What should I do?

All the CPC communications are done by email and mobile number and that is why you must check this information first. Go to the E-filing website and access the user account and review the details. For help, contact your tax practitioner.


  1. How many times can I file the revised return?

You can do it multiple times till the expiry of one year time limit.


  1. How can a taxpayer find his Assessing Officer (AO) Code?

Go to and log into your account. Under the account tab, click on “services” menu and under that click on “Know Your Jurisdiction” tab.


  1. What is IFSC Code and where to find it?

It is called as Indian Financial System Code, which contains 11 alpha numeric characters which is a must required thing for electronic transfers. This code can be found in the cheque leaf or from the passbook or you can get it by contacting the bank.


  1. What is MICR code and where to find it?

Magnetic Ink Character Recognition is required for cheque processing technology and can be found in the bank account cheque book.


  1. What is a bank branch code?

It is a unique code for a bank branch which helps in recognizing it.


  1. What is ECS?

It is an electronic fund transfer mode that can be used for paying interest, dividends, pension and to pay bills for electricity, telephone or water.


  1. Is it mandatory to enter email id and if so, then Which email ID should I provide?

Yes, it is mandatory to provide email ID while filing e-return through online system. You must enter your personal email ID.


  1. Should I provide my permanent address or current address?

You can provide either of them, whichever is best available to communicate.


  1. Which documents will serve as proof of 'identity' for individuals and HUFs?
  • The following documents are needed:
  • Matriculation certificate
  • School leaving certificate
  • Educational degree certificate from a recognized institution
  • Depository account
  • Bank account
  • Credit card
  • Water bill receipt
  • Ration card
  • Property tax assessment order
  • Passport
  • Voter identity card
  • Driving license
  • Certificate of identity signed by an MP or an MLA or a municipal councillor or a Gazetted officer


  1. What will serve as the proof of 'address' for individuals and HUFs?

All of the below mentioned documents can be used as address proof:

  • Electricity bill
  • Telephone bill
  • Depository account
  • Credit card
  • Bank account
  • Ration card
  • Employer certificate
  • Passport
  • Voter identity card
  • Property tax assessment order
  • Driving license
  • Rent receipt
  • Certificate of address signed by an MP / MLA / Municipal councilor / Gazetted officer.


  1. Does taxability change as per residential status?

Yes, it does depends on the residential status of the taxpayer.

Spread the love

Leave a comment

Wealth Cafe Financial Services Pvt Ltd (formerly 'Wealth Cafe Financial Advisors Pvt Ltd') is a AMFI registered ARN holder with ARN -78274.

Wealth Cafe Financial Services Pvt Ltd (formerly 'Wealth Cafe Financial Advisors Pvt Ltd') is a SEBI registered Authorised Person (sub broker) of Motilal Oswal Financial Services Ltd with NSE Regn AP0297087003 and BSE Regn AP0104460164562.


Copyright 2010-20 Wealth Café ©  All Rights Reserved