The NPS or the National Pension System (NPS) is a voluntary retirement scheme set up by the government through which you can save for your old age pension or create a retirement corpus.
The Process to Register for the National Pensions Scheme
Individuals can register and obtain a subscription to the National Pension System through the online platform eNPS. Registration for the scheme can be done in the following steps.
Step 1 – Go to the eNPS portal available at the official website of the National Pension System.
Step 2 – Choose your subscriber type from the available options ‘Individual Subscriber’ and ‘Corporate Subscriber’.
Step 3 – Choose your suitable residential status. The options include ‘Citizen of India’ and ‘NRI’.
Step 4 – Opt for either Tier I account type or both accounts as a choice of the former is mandatory for long-term savings.
Step 5 – Enter your PAN details and select a suitable bank or PoP. It is ideal to choose a PoP with whom you have an existing relationship such as a savings/current/Demat/account for KYC verification as the chosen PoP will do it.
Step 6 – Upload the scanned copy of your PAN card along with a canceled cheque. The image format should be in .jpg, .jpeg, or .png format with a file size of 4KB to 2MB.
Step 7 – Next, upload your scanned photograph and signature in the same format and size as above.
Step 8 – Once routed to the payment gateway, proceed to pay the required charges via net Banking.
Step 9 – With the completion of payment, your Permanent Retirement Account Number will be generated.
While this was the process of completing PRAN generation for all subscribers, NRIs need to complete a few additional steps as follows.
- Choose the status of the bank account, i.e., either repatriable or non-repatriable.
- Provide the details of the NRO or NRE bank account along with the passport’s scanned copy.
- Choose a suitable communication address, i.e. either permanent or overseas address. Note that communication to the latter attracts additional charges.
Once the PRAN is allotted, an applicant needs to proceed with either of the following steps for authentication.
E-Sign option for authentication
- On the E-sign/Print & Courier page, choose the E-sign option.
- Authenticate with OTP sent to the mobile number registered with your Aadhaar card.
- After the Aadhaar authentication, the registration form is signed successfully, and you do not need to send its physical copy.
Note that service charges are applicable for e-signing your registration form. However, if you are unable to complete the online authentication process, you can opt for the alternative option given below.
Authentication via print and courier
- To proceed with this authentication process, you need to select the Print & Courier option on the initial page.
- Next, print the form available on the page, paste the photograph and sign in the dedicated signature block.
- Send the form within 30 days of PRAN allotment to the address given below. Not doing so will result in temporary freezing of the PRAN.
Address for sending the authentication form –
Central Recordkeeping Agency (eNPS)
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
1st Floor, Times Tower, Kamala Mills Compound, Senapati Bapat Marg,
Lower Parel, Mumbai – 400 013